Happy 50th Birthday - Doctor Who

I have a vague memory; being very young, on a very cold evening in 1989, having either coming from or going to the dentist. Had been reluctantly dragged by my mum, and was trussed up in a duffel coat, but standing utterly fixated in front of the front room tv by the sight of a bunch of raggy Haemovores trudging out of the foggy sea, and by god I was transfixed. Ultimately terrified, but completely hooked.
My older brother (age gap of 10 years) was a bit of a fan; he'd some of the Dapol toys (which he pointedly refused to let me play with), and had let me watch Remembrance of the Daleks with him, although my memory of that is so vague, I can only remember the heady score of Keff McCullochs incidental music.
I digress; from that point, on a cold November in 1989, Doctor Who was firmly etched onto the impressionable young mind of a 4 year old, and it's one of my earliest memories that I imagine will stay with me until the day I die.
So.

Happy Birthday Doctor Who.

You've been my impressario for 24 years, through your wilderness years, through the McGann revival and the later new series. I've been scorned, laughed at, and also admired for my appreciation and fandom of you. You've given me lasting memories I'll never forget; stencilling a Police Box in marker pen onto my bedroom door as a child; putting my arm around Colin Baker as a grown man and trying so hard not to explode with fandom.

For me, appreciation of you isn't just on the surface. You've shaped me, shown me through the actions of the Doctor and his friends that tolerance and understanding is an implicit necessity to survival.

Written by masterminds, scripted by artists, brought to life by actors and actresses that are timeless, and struggled against the odds of an evolving industry.

Tonight, I'll be sitting with my incredibly tolerant fiancée, watching yet another definitive step in the future of Doctor Who.

Happy 50th Birthday Doctor Who.

Kris/Demeggy, Whovian Eternal

8 comments:

Dracony said...

I hope you have an absolutely fantastic day Kris, and of course every other Doctor Who fan out there! This will surely be a day to be remembered, happy 50th Anniversary everyone!!! <3

Anonymous said...

Just wondering, does this mean we won't be getting a Fallout Who full release today? Anyways, happy 50th everyone. :3

Dracony said...

Don't mind the anonymous guy Demeggy, I am sure everyone wants you to relax enjoy the 50th.

Harry said...

Yeah, don't mind him. Happy 50th everybody! :)

Kris said...

No release today, bit of a backburner on that front, will post tomorrow regarding...

Happy 50th to you all :)

Get posting over at the FWV Forums 50th party thread :)

http://falloutwho.proboards.com/thread/398/happy-50th-doctor-who?page=1&scrollTo=5594

Dracony said...

I for one is really interested in how everyone will be spending the day? I'll be spending it with my family in front of the tellie. :D

Unknown said...

Beautiful words Kris, cannot wait for tonight! today feels like it is going so slow...

Have a good evening everyone!

Anonymous said...

It was brilliant epsiode